Trends in Glaucoma is an event that showcases and discusses the latest medical and surgical trends for the diagnosis and treatment of the disease.
The two previous editions, held in 2014 and 2016, brought together more than 60 top national and international speakers, as well as around 600 ophthalmologists.
The third edition will be held on 9 and 10 November 2018 and will be replete with the latest developments, presented by prestigious guest speakers. If you are interested in glaucoma, this is the event for you.
Trends in Glaucoma is intended for glaucoma specialists and any ophthalmologists with an interest in the disease. The aim is for the two-day event to be very practical and dynamic, and feature short presentations and panel discussions on clinical cases, during which our speakers will share their know-how and opinions on the best ways to approach, diagnose and treat patients with glaucoma.
Friday 9 November
Registration, collection of badges and coffee for networking.
NEW DEVELOPMENTS IN THE DIAGNOSIS AND MANAGEMENT OF GLAUCOMA SINCE THE LAST TRENDS IN GLAUCOMA
Moderators: Dr Gema Rebolleda and Dr Sílvia Freixes.
- Retinographies in the 21st century. Dr Marta Castany.
- Angio-OCT in glaucoma: from theory to practice. Dr Gema Rebolleda.
- The role of macular OCT for glaucoma diagnosis and follow up.. Dr Marta Pazos.
- Can we predict or detect progression by studying the lamina cribrosa? Dr Gema Rebolleda.
- New office diagnostics to improve glaucoma management. Dr Ike K. Ahmed.
- Clinical cases discussion. Dr Ike K. Ahmed, Dr Marta Castany, Dr Sílvia Freixes and Dr Gema Rebolleda.
ADVANCES IN MEDICAL AND LASER TREATMENT FOR GLAUCOMA
Moderators: Dr Susana Duch and Dr Francisco Ruiz-Tolosa.
- Glaucoma's medical treatment today. Dr Jesús Hernández-Barahona.
- Glaucoma as a neurodegenerative disease: role of neuroprotection. Dr Pedro Corsino Fernández Vila.
- How glaucoma affects the quality of life of our patients. Dr Esperanza Gutiérrez.
Not all diode lasers are the same: cyclophotocoagulation with a G probe vs. MP3 probe:
- G6 micropulse diode laser. Dr Francisco Ruiz-Tolosa.
- Continuous diode laser. Dr Silvia Sanz.
- Current trends in trabeculoplasty. Our results with MLT. Dr Laia Pascual.
- SLT – why is it an interesting choice? Dr Susana Duch.
- Clinical cases discussion. Dr Susana Duch, Dr Pedro Corsino Fernández Vila, Dr Esperanza Gutiérrez, Dr Jesús Hernández-Barahona, Dr Laia Pascual, Dr Francisco Ruiz-Tolosa and Dr Silvia Sanz.
KEYNOTE LECTURE. Interventional glaucoma: a new mindset enabled by novel technology
Dr Ike K. Ahmed
PAEDIATRIC GLAUCOMA IN 2018
Moderators: Dr John Brookes and Dr Elena Arrondo.
- Diagnostic exams in childhood glaucoma. Dr Carmen Méndez.
- Childhood pathology – when to think about glaucoma. Dr Charlotte Wolley Dod.
- Primary congenital glaucoma: my angle surgery of choice and other options, if it fails. Dr Elena Bitrian, Dr John Brookes, Dr Julián García Feijoo and Dr Alicia Serra.
- Clinical cases discussion. Dr Elena Arrondo, Dr John Brookes, Dr Julián García Feijoo, Dr Carmen Méndez, Dr Alicia Serra and Dr Charlotte Wolley Dod.
CONFERENCE. My experience with glaucoma in developing countries.
Dr Jordi Loscos.
THE CONJUNCTIVA: KEYS TO SUCCESS WITH OUR FILTERING SURGERIES
Moderators: Dr Deborah Kamal and Dr Laia Pascual.
- Pharmacological toxicity on the eye surface. Dr Mercè Morral.
- How to prepare the conjunctiva for a filtering surgery. Dr Jesús Téllez.
- Study of the filtering bleb with anterior segment OCT (AS-OCT). Dr Silvia Sanz.
Modifications of my glaucoma surgery to improve bleb survival:
- Trabeculectomy. Dr John Brookes.
- Non-penetrating deep sclerectomy. Dr Elena Arrondo.
- Ahmed valve. Dr Sílvia Freixes.
- How do I get single-digit pressures? Dr Deborah Kamal.
- I do not worry about the conjunctiva: I perform a canaloplasty. Dr J. Aritz Urcola.
- Discussion and closure.
Saturday 10 November
CUTTING-EDGE GLAUCOMA SURGERIES. WHERE DO THEY FIT?
Moderators: Dr Ike K. Ahmed and Dr Keith Barton.
- MIGS overview. Dr Ike K. Ahmed.
- Tips and tricks for MIGS with and without a filtering bleb. Dr Keith Barton.
- Interactive round table. Indications for MIGS in different glaucoma scenarios. Dr Ike K. Ahmed, Dr Elena Arrondo, Dr Keith Barton, Dr José I. Belda, Dr Aitor Fernández, Dr Sílvia Freixes, Dr Julián García-Feijoo and Dr Laia Pascual.
KEYS TO SUCCESS IN GLAUCOMA DRAINAGE DEVICES
Moderators: Dr María Isabel Canut and Dr Sílvia Freixes
- Advantages and disadvantages of the different glaucoma drainage devices. Dr Esperanza Gutiérrez.
- Tips and tricks in my Baerveldt tubes. Dr Keith Barton.
- Restrictive mechanisms in glaucoma drainage devices to avoid complications. Dr María Isabel Canut.
- Strabismus after glaucoma surgery. Dr Ana Wert.
CINEMA SESSION: THE BEST TIPS AND TRICKS
Videos with surgical cases.
Presenters: Dr Elena Arrondo, Dr Sílvia Freixes and Dr Laia Pascual.
Surgeons: Dr Ike K. Ahmed, Dr Elena Arrondo, Dr Keith Barton, Dr José I. Belda, Dr Elena Bitrian, Dr María Isabel Canut, Dr Marta Castany, Dr Susana Duch, Dr Aitor Fernández, Dr Sílvia Freixes, Dr Esperanza Gutiérrez, Dr Antonio Hidalgo, Dr Antonio Moreno Valladares, Dr Laia Pascual, Dr Marta Pazos, Dr Francisco Ruiz-Tolosa, Dr. Jesús Téllez, Dr J. Aritz Urcola.
Dr Elena Arrondo, Dr Sílvia Freixes and Dr Laia Pascual.
All scientific sessions will be held at the Instituto de Microcirugia Ocular de Barcelona (IMO).
IMO Instituto de Microcirugía Ocular
Josep María Lladó, 3
Tel.: (+34) 934 000 700
See the map in Google Maps
GPS navigator coordinates:
41º 24’ 38” N – 02º 07’ 29” E
Junction 7 of the B20 Ronda de Dalt ring road (mountain side). The clinic features a 200-space car park.
- Bus route 60: Bellesguard roundabout, bus stop 1540
- Bus routes 60, 123, 196: Ronda de Dalt – Bellesguard, bus stop 0071
Más información sobre transportes
Do not hesitate to contact our official travel agency in case you need accommodation:
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tel.: + 34 93 363 57 60
A city with character
Barcelona is an open, vibrant and creative city with a busy cultural, political, business and commercial life. It is a metropolis where every imaginable language can be heard, as well as a city that invites its residents and visitors alike to discover its Catalan culture and traditions.
Phone: +34 93 253 15 00
Main Tourist Office of Barcelona
Phone: 93 285 38 34 (Plaça Catalunya, 17)
Tourist Information Office Barcelona Airport (El Prat)
Phone: 93 478 47 04
Barcelona Airport (El Prat)
Phone: 902 404 704
All general emergencies
Phone number: 112
National Spanish Police
Phone number: 091
Local Police - Barcelona
Phone number: 092
Police (Mossos d'Esquadra)
Phone number: 088
Medical emergencies - Barcelona
Phone number: 061
Phone number: 080
Report Loss or Theft of cards
4B – VISA Electron – Master Card – VISA
Phone: 902 11 44 00 / 91 362 62 00
Phone: 902 40 11 12
Servired (VISA-VISA Electron-Master Card)
Phone: 902 19 21 00
Phone: 902 37 56 37
Phone: 91 596 53 35
Activity credited by the Catalonian Council for Continuing Education in the Health Professions (CCFCPS), the Commission for Continuing Education in the National Health Service (CFC-SNS) with 1,5 continuing education credits.
Activity credited by the European Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (EACCME), with 11 continuing education credits.
This activity is compliant with the MedTech Europe Code of Ethical Business Practice.
Fill out this form to register for the event. If you need an invoice you can request it after making the payment.
300 € Before 17 September 2018
350 € After
Cancellation notifications should be sent to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. If the cancellation is made before September 17th 2018, an administration charge of 30% of the registration fee will be applied. Any registrations cancelled after September 17th 2018 will not be refunded.
Get involved in #Glaucoma18
Stay up to date with all the news and updates about the event through our social media channels. We also invite you to share your photos, comments and impressions about the Meeting using the hashtag #Glaucoma18 .