This course is aimed at qualified nurses with some previous experience and an interest in updating their knowledge of new technology and its application in ophthalmic surgery.
Continuous assessment and a theory and practice examination.
Attendance and completion of research work are obligatory.
The Autonomous University of Barcelona course fee is €4,235.
The Autonomous University of Barcelona course fee should be paid at the Office of the Instituto de Microcirugia Ocular
- Anatomy and physiology of the eye: anterior pole, ocular adnexa, posterior pole and optic tracts.
- Ocular disorders: the most prevalent disorders of the anterior pole, ocular adnexa, posterior pole.
- Ophthalmic surgery.
- Prior tests.
- Surgery: eyelids, lacrimal apparatus, orbit, cornea, crystalline lens and retina.
- Types of ophthalmic laser.
- Safety measures.
- The most commonly used drugs in ophthalmology.
- Routes of administration.
Medical history and basic examinations
- Visual acuity.
- Slit lamp.
External eye photography
- Materials, types of cameras, basic photographic concepts and protocols according to disorder.
Anterior Segment Slit Lamp Photography:
- Photographic features of the slit lamp.
- Accessories, lighting techniques and indications, protocols according to disorder, angle photography.
- Fundus photography, characteristics, colour fundus photography, fundus autofluorescence photography, fluorescein angiography and with indocyanine green, stereoscopic and panoramic fundus photography, adverse effects of contrast, indications and protocols according to disorder.
Digital capture system, filing and image processing
- Software: ImageNet, Adobe Photoshop.
Optical coherence tomography
- Anterior segment OCT, high-resolution posterior segment OCT.
Posterior segment B ultrasound
Care of patients undergoing angiographic techniques
- Patient preparation.
- Possible complications.
- Post-angiographic care.