This course is aimed at ophthalmologists with some previous experience and an interest in acquiring specialised knowledge in Vitreous/Retina.
Students will participate in theoretical and practical elements of day-to-day practice.
- Dr Anniken Bures
- Dr Borja Corcóstegui
- Dr José García-Arumí
- Dr Carlos Mateo
- Dr Rafael Navarro
- Dr Cecilia Salinas
Continuous assessment and a theory and practice examination.
Attendance and completion of research work are obligatory.
The Autonomous University of Barcelona course fee is €8,860.
The Autonomous University of Barcelona course fee should be paid at the Office of the Instituto de Microcirugia Ocular
- Patient examination in consultation room.
- Performing of supplementary tests.
- Assisting in surgeries.
- Emergency care
- Participation in research work.
- Presence and participation in teaching activities.
Retinal detachment in its various forms
- Rhegmatogenous and secondary.
- Clinical study, differential diagnosis and treatment.
- Patient assessment in the consulting room and surgical treatment.
- Complementary tests for better understanding of retinal detachment: biomicroscopy, ultrasound examination in one- and two-dimensional B mode, panoramic photography of the fundus and study with optical coherence tomography
Retinal vascular disorders
- Diabetic retinopathy is covered in detail with respect to diagnosis with angiography and tomography and its intraretinal and proliferative forms.
- Surgical indications and treatment with photocoagulation or vitrectomy.
- On-going trials for the treatment of the disorder.
- Study and collection of documentation and participation in clinical trials.
- Other retinal vascular diseases will be studied, such as obstruction of the central and branch vein and new treatments.
- Degeneration of the macula, assessment of its various forms by means of fluorescein angiography, indocyanine green angiography and other methods.
- Treatment with thermal photocoagulation, transpupillary thermotherapy, photodynamic therapy and macular translocation.
- Macular hole.
- Accurate re-assessment of diagnosis with OCT and other methods.
- Macular hole surgery.
- The macular epiretinal membrane and dissection of the internal limiting membrane, indications and technique.
- Particular attention is paid to melanoma and its diagnostic and therapeutic aspects.
- Practical examination of different treatments with new photocoagulation techniques, radiation therapy with plaques and tumour resection.
- Participation in multi-centre and pilot studies on different types of tumour.
- Posterior uveitis, classification and medical and surgical treatment.
- The study of patients with chronic inflammation and on-going trials with intraocular devices to control inflammation.
- Surgical indications for inflammatory processes.
- Diagnosis and differential diagnosis.
- The current role of ocular electrophysiology in the diagnosis of fundus disorders.
- Current genetic studies.